Eligibility requirements for DAPA for parents of US citizens and GC holders

President Barack Obama has set the following requirements to be eligible for Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA), a program that allows undocumented aliens in the United States to defer their deportation for 3 years, get a work permit, and receive their very own Social Security number that they can use to apply for credit cards, buy a home, and live their lives without fear.  This program does not create a pathway to green card or citizenship but if you get approved, then, you can exploit many loopholes in American law to adjust your status without leaving the USA.

Below are the requirements if you want to apply:
  1. Parent of US citizen or permanent resident (green card holder).  Make sure that you have a birth certificate to prove that you are the father or mother of the child.
  2. The child was born before November 20, 2014.
  3. You have lived continuously in the United States -- legally or illegally -- since January 1, 2010.  Be prepared to prove this form of a stamp in your passport if you came legally or through other documents in case you crossed the border illegally.  Documents like receipts, leases, bank accounts, Facebook updates, doctor's note, etc. are fine.
  4. You should be able to pass a background check.  If you have committed serious crimes, you will not be eligible.
  5. If you have been paying taxes using an ITIN, you will be fine.  Otherwise, you will be required to pay back taxes.
  6. You will need to apply using several forms starting May 2014, go for fingerprinting, and when you get your approval, visit a local Social Security Office to apply for a SSN.

What are the benefits?
  1. Deferral of deportation for three years.  You can still be deported if you commit other crimes but you will not be deported for just being present illegally in the United States.
  2. Work permit or employment authorization document (EAD) that will allow you to work legally anywhere except for the government.
  3. Social Security number and card.
  4. Driver's license in some states.
  5. No Federal assistance but in some states, you maybe eligible for welfare, food stamps, and unemployment insurance.